Wednesday 19 August 2015

A New Collection Is Born

Hi there, and welcome to the birth of a new collection, born from a love of retro video games, handheld gaming and nostalgia! I'm a seasoned gamer/collector who has finally settled on what I want to collect after many years of buying and selling. I'm 35, live in the UK and am married with two kids, between the family and my job I don't have a lot of spare time left for anything else and when I do get the odd half hour it's quite often away from home, so for the past couple of years I've realised that the best way to get my gaming fix is through handheld gaming. My main collection focus is Nintendo's GameBoy, which I have another blog all about, but as much as I enjoy playing the GameBoy games, they don't seem to scratch my collecting itch. All my GameBoy games are cartridge only as I abhor cardboard boxes, so I keep them stored neatly in card collecting folders, this however creates a small problem, because half of the fun in collecting for me is in admiring the collection I've built up! Sounds daft I know, but my collection has come in all shapes and sizes over the years and I've always enjoyed looking through my stuff as much as I have playing them! So I was on the hunt for something to complement my GameBoy set that would fulfill my gaming urges, when someone posted a picture of a handheld collection on Twitter. In this picture was numerous Tiger LCD games, and seeing those just got the nostalgia flowing! As a kid I owned a couple of these units, Sonic and Street Fighter II, and my mate owned a few too so we used to swap for a week at a time. I have loads of fond memories of playing these LCD gems over and over, trying to master them and get a higher score than anyone else who'd played them before the batteries ran out, so I thought I'd buy one and see if they were any good.
And that's were this blog begins, I bought one. Or ten to be more exact! And contrary to popular opinion, I'm really enjoying playing them! So that's my new collection settled then, Tiger Electronic games, they look ace, fun to play, can be played anywhere and I have a lot of nostalgia for them, they suit my collection needs just fine. I don't know exactly where this journey is gonna take me, in the past I've been known to buy full sets when I get my teeth into a collection, but at the minute I'm just gonna slowly but surely build up a decent selection and see what happens. Each game I buy will get it's own review, with a breakdown of the games features and controls, and I'll probably do a gameplay video too so you can see and hear how they look. I'm also working on a list of Tiger releases, all the lists I can find online are miles from complete, most contaning around 150-200 games, I'm estimating the actual release figure is around 400 different units! So keep an eye out for a database section, probably split into model types too for convenience :).

So that's it for now, my first review will be up just as soon as I manage to beat the first game I'm playing so keep your eyes peeled for that coming soon :)


No comments:

Post a Comment